Thursday, April 29, 2010

How NOT to Make a Card...



Come listen to a story about a card gone wild...

but first, this is for the Waltzingmouse Challenge, which you can find here.  (You can win 8 stamps sets from the May release (tomorrow!). Please don't enter as it will reduce my chances of winning...

Card Construction Details:

1.  Stamp image from Faux Fun with Versamark on PTI Aqua Mist cardstock.  Trimmed to 4" square.
2.  Stamp Mother (sentiment from Roses in Bloom) with Hawaiian ink on Mulberry paper.
3.  Die cut oval in Aqua Mist cardstock and adhere mulberry to back.

4.  Cannot read sentiment so gently peel back cardstock from oval.  Huge mess.
5.  Distress and ink edges.
6.  Trim Papertrey Ink Hawaiian Shores cardstock to 4 and 1/4" square.  More distressing and inking.

7.  Stamp rose from Roses in Bloom on cream cardstock twice and once on mulberry.  Trim.
8.  Add rose as shown with one layer on dimensionals cause that's what everyone does.
9.  Add pearls ALL the way around oval.

10.  Heat set ivory silk ribbon to curl.  Learn silk ribbon doesn't curl when heat set.  Twist ribbon and tie in vain attempt to create trendy looking old ribbon.
11.  Make separate bow.  Cut off original horrible bow and added new bow with glue dots.  Trim tails too short. Repeat THREE times until bow looks semi decent. Waste huge amounts of expensive silk ribbon.  Good thing husband doesn't read this blog.
12.  Order chinese food as clear no time for cooking.

13.  Stamp different rose on 4 and 1/2" square cream card with Hawaiian Shores ink.
14.  Glue everything.  Is straight in person but looks crooked in picture (??)
15.  Pearls look like tacky Neon Sign.  Pull off most.  Tear cardstock where pearls had been.  Seriously consider selling off all supplies and going to real Hawaiian shores with proceeds.  Cannot bear to start over, proving am not perfectionist.

16. Have dinner with husband.
17.  Tear various parts of card and throw PTI tea dye ink around to look more distressed.
18.  Will give card to my Mom for Mother's Day and expect "Oh, so the tearing is on purpose?"

Mood When Done = Messy

33 comments:

  1. What do I like best seeing your cards or reading your stories? I'll never tell!
    Love the card, love the story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's beautiful. Very vintage. Love your Photoshopping, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the play by play & gorgeous card. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha.... sounds like my house LOL!!! The rose looks so perfect, perched atop the vintage card and love the blue ink you've used.
    Angela xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adventure! Hope your Mum surprises you and tells you how much she loves it. The end result is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joan you are a HOOT!
    Gorgeous card :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, Oh, you are too funny! Sounds like one of my card-creating scenarios! ha Sometimes they just don't come out like we think/want! But this IS pretty, and I hope your Mom likes it. But I'm expecting she WILL say what you expect she will! LOL LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Joan.......the tears were tripping me when I read this post!!!! (sorry thats a very Liverpool saying lol).....Don't you just love it when you have one of those days!! I made a card for this challenge too and thought I'd be clever and emboss Swiss dots in the centre circle.....except over the sentiment!!!! Oh why did'nt I try it on a scrap first!!! Like you I posted it anyway....unlike you i've only now owned up to it!!!!!! Thanks it's nice to know I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You crack me up! I've done the same sort of thing, but haven't admitted it- good on ya! That said, I love how this turned out. It all looks intentional,which is why the'Card Gods' have a hand in everything we do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the laugh this morning. When a good idea goes bad ...

    In spite of it all, it's a really pretty card. You can tell your mom that the distressing is uber trendy and she's getting the very latest in card making. You care enough to give her only the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, I LOVE the "tearing" (very shabby chic/vintage looking) and love even more the struggles (I HATE being the only one who has those days!! Though I tend to have them more than most!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joan I love this! It turned out fab! I have had many similar crafting moments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wait ribbon curls when heat set? Really? Haha, love your logic here! And I'm with ya on the not wanting to start over... quite a predicament sometimes but I think it increases creativity. Heehee! Lovely card and love the shabby chic-ness!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great card, Joan... love the torn bits :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't you just love it when you hate it! I have this reaction so often with my cards...nope, that wasn't a mistake, honest, it's on purpose~

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a happy accident! This is gorgeous and I love the way you tell of your process. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How funny Joan - we've all been there!! Your end result turned out fantastic, love the blue and white together. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a great card Joan....the story of the making sounds just like what it can be here when I try to work to someone else's agenda....at least you can post a card in the right place...I couldn't get mine even into the correct place for the folks without a blog...I'm pathetic at computers and photography so of course Claire (she's busy enough, surely) is doing it for me...how pathetic is that?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hee hee, have you been peeking into my craft space ;) LOVE your card, so soft and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL, this is the funniest post I can remember reading for a loooooooong time! But your card really did turn out so soft and pretty in the end! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this post, it is the most entertaining thing I have read all day...haven't we all had experiences making cards like this. Although I actually like the result quite a lot...don't sell those supplies just yet:)!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your story and I totally think that a very shop worn looking card is so appropriate for a Mother's Day card. Or at least one from an offspring. I mean shop worn is what happens to moms when they raise kids isn't it? :-)

    Such yummy colors you chose for this little beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bless you! I laughed 'til I had tears in my eyes. On top of sliced bread, you take the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think it's fantastic! Really, FOR REAL! I love the vintage look/Hawaiian Shores combo!

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL at your explanantion, AGAIN. Not only do you give us step-by-step, but let us hear that we are not the only ones to try, make, throw, despair, change our mind, and finally just finish. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Spoken like a true perfectionist-!! I beat myself up all the time..I have never seen anything you've created that I didn't like..and want to CASE! Love the vintage feel to your card-simple but elegant. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh fab card Joan!!! i'd never guessed all that went on too!! It turned out lovely, thank you so much for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Joan you have the BEST card "recipes". I love reading anything you write. I think your card looks lovely. Great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the "shabby chic" feel of this card.
    Oh I can so realte to item #12!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks Joan, You've described the total experience. Some days it just does work though....

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looking at the finished result, who would know the card - and its creator - had been through so much? Joan, I secretly think that the Distress in Distress Inks refers to the effect on the stamper, not the cardstock! Thanks for sharing a slice of life that resonates with so many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think this card is beautiful, tears and all!! Goes with the overall effect. Did your mom like it??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you think!